Monday, July 7, 2008

the zahir

another book by paulo coehlo.

simply put zahir means obsession in arabic ... it's more complicated than that but not very ...

your zahir could be different from my zahir ... mine used to be a man/men. a boy(s)? ok, maybe it still is.

when a man didn't love me the way i thought i was supposed to be loved by a man; i would obsess.

by reading 'the zahir' (in the winter of 2007) i truly started to understand the concept: that love is everywhere and in all things.

that it is a matter of perception ... as most things are. (i first confronted this concept in the mastery of love by don miguel ruiz but it seemed very distant and very impossible.)

sure, i could stay in my little box (or hole deep in the earth) and keep insisting that i should be loved in a specific way ... or i could CHOOSE to accept the little love i received from a man ... and the abundant love i receive from the universe.

it's not easy to try to see love from a tree as equal as love from a man (or whatever gender you are loving) ... cuz we get told all our lives that romantic love is the ultimate love ...

i have experienced something more these days ... and the zahir set me on that path ... at the time that i read the book i was obsessed, i was fixated on a person ... just like the character in the book whose wife left him ...

you, yourself might say oh, well if my wife left me ... that would be the end of my world too ...

that's just what the character had to ask himself.

why don't many of us feel GOD's love? is it because it's not out there? or is it because we refuse to SEE it?

do we INSIST on love coming in and from a certain package? ask yourself.

LOVE,
this blogger right to you

2 comments:

Lenoxave said...

I think we definitely have certain expectations about love and we feel we know what it looks like. In the case of my mother, I didn't receive the kind of love that I believed I should.

However, that doesn't mean she didn't love me. People give what they can and it doesn't always meet your yardstick. Doesn't mean it's not valid or unworthy.

I think we need to broaden our scope big time. I learned of your blog from Ill Mami @ Hopelessly Sarcastic.

caSHmereLoveJohnson said...

thank you for coming by and contributing.

and yes, the parental love or lack thereof is one of the hardest to accept.

which is why we often seek what we want from family in our partner ... or in food, clothes, chocolate etc.